Integration in progress

I am currently finishing the software of the dsPIC for my new hardware.
I am integrating the features progressively, and it is almost done. I can (eventually again) control the motor and the steering of the car.

The longest part was to develop the SPI drivers on both the Raspberry Pi and the PIC. I chose to used the 2nd SPI peripheral of the RPi, which is part of the auxiliary peripherals (called universal SPI master in the datasheet), and does not work at all like the main SPI controller (which of course I did not check before…). And as usual the documentation of the RPi was not very precise. The most weird problem I faced is that the RPi SPI outputs the LSB of the data first by default, which is very unusual for a SPI bus. There is a parameter to output MSB 1st, but when you choose it, it outputs the MSB of the 32 bits buffer register, and I had configured to output a 16 bit value, so all I had was some zeros on the bus. It took me some time to understand the trick.

As you can see on the pictures, I also added a light on the front of the car, and this is not just for fun, I often perform my tests when it is dark outside, and I cannot see anything on the camera if there isn’t some good light.

I still have to finish and calibrate the software which measure the battery level, and I have to develop the PID controller for the motor, I did not start this part at all.